Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world and early detection is essential to prevent it from spreading and causing further harm. Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that can be seen on the skin unlike other types of cancers. There are several ways to remove skin cancer, but the most common treatment that is effective and aesthetically pleasing is to surgically remove it which can be performed by a plastic surgeon.
For more advanced melanoma, the surgical procedures which can be performed by plastic surgeons include
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsies where a surgical procedure is conducted to determine whether a skin cancer has spread to the body’s lymphatic system
- Advanced Lymphatic Clearance Surgery may be used when melanoma has spread to the sentinel nodes in the body, lymph node clearance surgery is performed to remove all the lymph nodes in the target area
Read more about these advanced melanoma surgical procedures
Benefits of Skin Cancer Removal with a Plastic Surgeon
There are several benefits to having skin cancer removal performed by a plastic surgeon, including
- Aesthetic Outcome
- Plastic surgeons are trained in aesthetic techniques that can help to minimise scarring and improve the appearance of the skin after surgery.
- Precise Removal
- Plastic surgeons have a high level of precision when it comes to removing cancerous cells, reducing the risk of recurrence, and ensuring that all the cancerous cells are removed.
- Experience with Reconstruction
- If a large area of skin needs to be removed, a plastic surgeon can perform reconstructive surgery to help restore the appearance of the affected area.
What to Expect During Recovery
Recovery time after skin cancer removal will vary depending on the type of procedure and the size of the affected area. You can expect some swelling, redness, and discomfort in the first few days after surgery, and you may need to take some time off work to recover. You will also need to keep the affected area covered and protected from the sun to minimise the risk of scarring and promote healing.
Skin cancer removal with a plastic surgeon is an effective option for removing cancerous growths from the skin. With their expertise in aesthetic techniques and reconstructive surgery, plastic surgeons may help to minimise scarring and restore the appearance of the skin after surgery.
If you’re concerned about skin cancer, it’s important to see a doctor as soon as possible to discuss your options and get the treatment you need, get in touch with Dr. Mark Lee today.
Choosing to have plastic surgery is a serious personal decision and undertaking. Please be mindful that any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks.